Starting college can be an emotional, exciting and stressful time. If you are feeling anxious or unprepared, don’t worry – you are not alone! Here are some last-minute tips to help put your mind at ease so you can enjoy the final weeks of summer break:
- Confirm that your high school has sent a final academic transcript to your chosen college or university.
- Don’t forget about your health! Check your immunization records (some schools even require incoming students to submit these to prove they are up-to-date) and get caught up on any necessary shots. Refill your prescriptions, too.
- Make 100% sure you have all your financial aid in order and create a budget for yourself for the school year. It’s also a good idea to apply for an "emergency only" credit card so you'll have it in time for school.
- When you are saying your goodbyes, don’t forget to develop a plan to stay in touch with friends and family. Facebook is great, but you might want to collect addresses and phone numbers as well.
- If you haven’t done so already, contact your roommate. You will be happy to get the first awkward conversation out of the way, get to know a little bit about one another and figure out what dorm room essentials each of you plan to bring.
- Consult your school’s website or new student materials to determine what meetings and social functions will be taking place upon your arrival. You don’t want to be miss out on any of the fun or informative welcome events for incoming students!